Council tax benefit backdating rules

Housing benefit can be backdated for a minimum of three months from the date of your application or from the date that you or your partner became pensionable age if this is later.

If we pay you too much housing benefit we call it an 'overpayment'.

After your claim has been assessed you will receive a letter explaining the information we have used to work out the amount of housing benefit.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are extra payments to help with your housing costs. We get an amount of money each year from the Government to spend on DHPs, which is separate from the money we spend on benefits. You can apply for a DHP if you get: However, we only have a limited budget for DHPs, so we cannot pay everyone who applies.

You can find it on any letter we’ve sent about your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

Contact us if you need more information about applying for housing benefit.

Complete a housing benefit application form and send it in to us: A full list of the types of evidence required as proof is provided on page four of the notes for filling in a claim form, available above.

When we receive all the information we need from you, we’ll work out how much benefit you're entitled to, We'll contact you to let you know the amount, usually within ten working days.

This is available through the local Council Tax Support scheme and discretionary reduction for hardship.

We will decide whether to award you a DHP based on the information you have provided.

To ensure your entitlement starts from the earliest possible date you should state your intention to claim by: You can only ask for your claim to be backdated if there is a valid reason why you were unable to apply from an earlier date.

If you are of pensionable age special backdating rules apply.

Leave a Reply