Atherstone was once an important hatting town, and became well known for its felt hats.
The industry began in the 17th century and at its height there were seven firms employing 3,000 people.
The local authority is North Warwickshire Borough Council, which, since May 2015, has been under Conservative control.
The town is situated 6 mi (9.7 km) northwest of Nuneaton, 9.5 mi (15.3 km) southeast of Tamworth and 15 mi (24 km) north of the nearest major city, Coventry.
St Mary's was further redesigned in 1849 by Thomas Henry Wyatt and David Brandon.
An important defended Roman settlement named Manduessedum existed at Mancetter near the site of modern-day Atherstone, and the Roman road, the Watling Street (most of which later became part of the A5) ran through the town.
It is believed by some historians that the rebel Queen of the Britons, Boudica was defeated at the Battle of Watling Street by the Romans in her final battle near Manduessedum.
Local legend is that they stayed at The Three Tuns in Long Street.
In Tudor times, Atherstone was a thriving commercial centre for weaving and clothmaking.